Monday 20 October 2008

Dream

I’ve found what I’m looking for – a brilliant version of John Cage’s “Dream” performed by Percussionist Justin Stolarik ( now Dr Stolarik ) . I found it on youtube http://www.youtube.com/datimpster after searching the web ( and other places ) and almost immediately recognised something familiar and long lost and perfect for "There is a Tide". It is everything I wanted and more - The music is rhythmic and melodic that will find a good place with the rhythms and movements within the sculptures - it has the undisturbed quality and sweet tone that should sit low beneath the sound of the wind in the masts - and it has its own energy and sense of experiment. I approach Justin to check that he is happy for me to use the performance and he is very generous in his reponse. See http://www.justinstolarik.com/ for more information about this wonderful Conductor, Percussionist and Music Educator . I can't stop smiling - how strange that a musical piece of work by another artist should bring about the same sense that I am more familiar with when I deliver a colour or a shape or a stroke that becomes the key to a visual piece that I am working on. I am so happy too that John Cage should revisit the process having been a main source of inspiration when I first considered sound as part of the exhibition. Now, for my part, all I need to do is to get a good recording of the wind in the masts - some early mornings ahead.


Clare McNiven

No comments: