Tuesday 11 November 2008

Kairos




An Tobar came on Sunday to transport the figures to Tobermory. The studio now seems so empty. There are paintings hanging and stacked up against the wall and there are scraps of string everywhere. I sit and read among the chaos half wanting to start another sculpture and half enjoying this moment of inertia in the project. In the middle of this, Lee from AnTobar phones to ask some difficult questions about the artists statement that I sent her last week. She is preparing a Gallery text and some phrases need clarification. To answer her questions meaningfully, I feel that I need to be less ambiguous about my reasoning and ideas which, although painful is a good exercise. Also, I find myself deliberately leaving some things unsaid, filtering my thoughts to try to stay coherent. and I think that this voicing, editing and reiterating of ideas is important and it is great that AnTobar supports an exhibiting artist in this way.
Later, reflecting on the conversation two words still seem key to it all - "Time" and "Optimism". This sits well and I spend some time thinking about my fourth sculpture figure "Kairos"




Kairos (or Occassio), the god of the “fleeting moment,” is always running. Mark R. Freier writes
"…. refers to the right time, opportune time or seasonable time. It cannot be measured. It is the perfect time, the qualitative time, the perfect moment, the "now.".... It is not an understatement to say that kairos moments alter destiny. To miscalculate kronos is inconvenient. To miscalculate kairos is lamentable.
http://www.whatifenterprises.com/whatif/whatiskairos.pdf

No comments: